- Download 0
- File Size 2.27 MB
- File Count 1
- Create Date June 23, 2021
- Last Updated June 23, 2021
PETITION BY CIVIL SOCIETY GROUPS OPPOSING PRESIDENT BUHARI’S APPOINTMENT OF LAURETTA ONOCHIE AS A NATIONAL COMMISSIONER OF THE INDEPENDENT NATIONAL ELECTORAL COMMISSION
- On Tuesday 13 October 2020, the Senate President read a letter from President Muhammadu Buhari requesting the confirmation of three nominees as INEC National Commissioners and one Resident Electoral Commissioner.
- The three nominees for National Commissioner are expected to replace three out of five National Commissioners of INEC whose tenure was due to terminate in November 2020.
- Lauretta Onochie who hails from Aniocha Local Government Area of Delta state and a current Special Assistant to the President on social media is among the nominees awaiting confirmation by the Senate. She was nominated as National Commissioner of INEC to represent the South-South region.
- On Wednesday, 9th June 2021, eight months after her nomination, the Senate referred Lauretta Onochie’s name to its Committee on INEC to commence her screening as a National Commissioner of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).